Personal Experience with Satya, by Jodi Wellman



Somewhere in between 3 different jobs, an attempt at a social life, and my resignation to the fact that sleep is indeed a necessary part of the day, I made it to my mat for my own yoga practice. I sat and began to draw my mind away from the noise of life and into an expansive quiet. Feeling the gentle rise and fall of my breath, my body resonating with this natural tidal pull, I began to notice the desire to look around. Opening my eyes I began to feel admiration and appreciation for my fellow practitioners, and ever so subtly started to feel tremors of comparison which turned into waves of self-doubt; I was astonished how quickly I went from solitude to this subtle self-assault! Master yoga teacher T.K.V. Desikachar (son of reknowned yogi Krishnamacharya) describes one of the meanings of yoga as "to tie the strands of the mind together".

Through the many different practices of yoga we develop the 'tools' through which we learn to see ourselves as we were previously unable; we work on bringing all aspects of our self into union. Desikachar further states that "the practice of yoga only requires us to act and to be attentive to our actions. Each of us is required to pay careful attention to the direction we are taking so that we know where we are going and how we are going to get there".

Satya is a powerful tool for whittling away the layers of illusion that leave one bound in a mire of unproductive habits and patterns. Satya allows us to become more attuned to our true nature, which is that of wholeness. When we allow ourselves time to 'marinate' in this truth there is an all pervading sense of calm, as though the entire body has released a sigh from the very depths of the soul. It is a challenging practice to be true to one's Self and to one's dharma, most notably when we live in a culture that is outwardly focused and performance based. However, anything short of living that truth is an act of violence towards the Self.

A beautiful practice of satya is simply sitting quietly with yourself. Place one hand on heart center, the other palm resting face up in a mudra of receptivity, slow your breath to a gentle rhythm, and know that for the next few minutes your only intention is to be present. Practice observing what arises for you, listening as you would with a dear friend or partner. Practice neither judging nor dismissing what arises, rather simply be with and acknowledge any emotions, sensations, or thoughts. When you feel complete, bow your head towards your heart honoring this space and time with gratitude for the resilient strength and uncompromising fortitude of your inner teacher.

"I do not have a soul, I AM a soul; I have a body and a mind. The frailties, fears, and inflexibilities of my mind and body are gates to my freedom; passing through them ignites the fire of Self knowledge...om tat sat"
~Atmananda Das

No comments: